geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <>
Subject Re: Migrating to maven 2 - conversion idea
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:01:31 GMT
On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:30 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2006, at 4:06 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> Is there an easy way to do this with m1?  I'm concerned about
>> having two dependency lists: one in the project.xml and one in the
>> pom.xml.  Is there a tool that can merge the project.xml
>> dependencies into a template pom.xml?
> If there was a tool we'd probably go from pom.xml to project.xml
> for transitive deps reasons rather than the other way around.
> But really, I wouldn't worry about having two deps lists.  Here is
> an idea for keeping things working ...
> Why don't we:
>   - use an non-conflicting groupId like org.apache.geronimo-m2 or
> something specifically for conversion
>   - set it up in our continuum install as another project
>   - and continuously build *both*
> ?
> The reason for the new groupId is so that the m2 build doesn't
> interfere at all with our regular m1 build.  We just won't sycn
> org.apache.geronimo-m2.
> When our m2 build is read, we just drop the "-m2" suffix from the
> groupId and delete the old maven.xml and project.xml files.
> Thoughts?

Take my comments with a large dose of salt since, I'm not
volunteering to do the work....  I would like to see a module
completely converted to m2 (one at a time) and stay converted.  I get
the impression that people are proposing that we create parallel
builds for modules one at a time, and I just don't see that working.

Then again, if there is a group of you that want to do the work,
don't let me hold you back.  I've been wrong many times before.

View raw message