geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ode Proposal (Sybase BPEL engine donation))
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:29:29 GMT
On 15 Feb 2006, at 16:31, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 15:56 +0000, James Strachan wrote:
>> Dims & Sanjiva
>>
>> Given your arguments that the Sybase BPEL donation should be in a new
>> podling rather than part of ServiceMix - I wonder if you'd like to
>> join us in the ODE proposal then we can have a united Apache
>> community with folks from Agila, Geronimo, ServiceMix, & WS involved
>> to insure plenty of cross pollination.
>
> Wow I feel "special" to get asked liked this ;-).
>
> I was going to ask to join anyway .. so I'll be happy to.

Great! :)

> However, I
> would like to request some changes:
>
> - Under warning signs, in the "Homogenous developers" category it
> lists
> developers from Sybase, IBM & LogicBlaze. Is it the case that the
> *current* codebase has contribs from all these companies? If not I
> believe the spirit of the question is about the current codebase, not
> about the group that'll get it thru incubation. So please indicate who
> wrote the current codebase (which I believe is all Synbase).

Good point - fixed.

> - The initial committers list is very long. I'm on service-mix dev
> and I
> see only 2-3 people committing

Have you tried looking at the SVN logs? The codebase has only been in
the incubator for 2 months and 12 folks have been hacking the code
furiously (and we're still waiting for karma for a couple more
committers).

> (and little or no discussion; am I
> missing some stuff??).

Maybe you're email filters are hiding email? There's a fair amount of
discussion...
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/
200602.mbox/thread
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/
200601.mbox/thread
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/
200512.mbox/thread

There's plenty of background chatter on IRC too if you need more chat
(though important decisions and votes always take place via email)

> Can we try to list people who are really going to
> write code for this? It doesn't make sense to list *23* committers
> unless they will really write code.

They will.

> We can always bring people on board
> as they start contributing. If all these people are really so hot to
> mess with a BPEL impl, damn, I should feel really good about BPEL ;-).

You should as they are. The people listed who are servicemix
committers have committed substantial code already to ServiceMix and
are keen to work on the integration of BPEL + ServiceMix along with
enhancing the core BPEL engine (such as the management & persistence
piece). The Sybase folks wrote the original code and the Agila
committer is the guy who wrote all the BPEL code in Agila - so far
I'm happy with the committer list.

> - Given the, um, strong feelings expressed by so many people about
> this
> project, how about if we get the Incubator PMC to sponsor this
> poddling?

Why does the sponsor PMC make any difference to whether the BPEL
engine goes top level or not? e.g. Tuscany is sponsored by WS and is
gonna be a TLP?

Given the Geronimo PMC did vote to accept the patch into ServiceMix
(though given the general sentiment to use a separate podling we've
backed off), we'd rather stick to the same sponsor PMC for the moment.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/