geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: mutiple WebServiceBuilder gbeans
Date Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:33:38 GMT
On Feb 16, 2006, at 7:50 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> sorry for the delay in replying
>
> On Feb 10, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Conrad O'Dea wrote:
>
>> Hi David,

>>> You won't be able to use it for ejb web services because the
>>> openejb web service implementation is hard coded to use axis.
>>
>> Is there any reason that the OpenEJB stuff must use Axis or could
>> it be updated to be more flexible?
>>

> I don't think there is any fundamental reason but right now it is
> coded that way and in the limited time I've been able to look at it
> I haven't seen how to disentangle it.   David Blevins might have a
> better idea how to approach this.

The webservices support in OpenEJB and Geronimo both use this
interface that I came up with:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk/modules/webservices/
src/java/org/apache/geronimo/webservices/WebServiceContainer.java

That can be wrapped in a servlet, wrapped directly by jetty, or
wrapped in anything that can support an http-like request/response.
These wrapping things I'm talking about are essentially front-ends
and all our front-ends rely upon that interface cleanly and are not
tied to any WebServiceContainer we have.

The Axis implementation is here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/trunk/modules/axis/src/java/
org/apache/geronimo/axis/server/AxisWebServiceContainer.java

An out-of-date XFire implementation is here:

http://cvs.openejb.org/viewrep/openejb/trunk/openejb2/modules/core/
src/java/org/openejb/server/xfire/WSContainer.java?r=1895

I prototyped on XFire first and then eventually created an Axis
implementation which is what we certify with.  The runtime is very
decoupled and can essentially support any webservice that implements
the WebServiceContainer interface.

It's pretty much deployment that ties us to Axis.  If you can find
what we need to do to peal our Axis implementation out, I'm happy to
help.

I'd like to see XFire as an option again, myself.

-David