geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject configId issue... tooling impact
Date Sat, 04 Feb 2006 15:32:04 GMT
So due to the planned configId changes for 1.1, this will have a
direct impact on the tooling.  The primary issue here is that the 1.0
eclipse plugin is soon to be released only to be broken immediately
by the release of 1.1.  So rather then release a plugin that will not
work with 1.1 here is my proposal...

As soon as WTP 1.01 is released I had planned to go out with the
1.0.0 plugin.  Instead I'll just tag it and make that binary
available as a stable driver "zip only" (But won't put it on the
update manager site which kinda puts a commitment that feature
updates and patches on this will need to me made thereafter.)   I'll
then start versioning all my runtimes and servers to 1.1, wait for
the configID changes, migrate the code and do a full release (update
manager site included) as 1.1 which will allow you to define ONLY a
1.1 runtime and 1.1 server.

In normal circumstances, every major release should be listed in the
plugin (i.e create a 1.0 server, 1.1, server, 2.x, ...), however
given the impact on the incompatibilities introduced, and
specifically the possibility of not having any upward schema
conversion magic, I think this is much more safer bet to just go
ahead and replace 1.0 support with 1.1, rather then add 1.1 support
as you would do normally.

In the future, we need to be "tooling-aware" and for any major change
going in like this to start considering the impact on tooling.  For
some stuff I may be impacted but not aware of it, so I'm asking each
and everyone to be more conscious about this going forward.

Thanks

- sachin