geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven apt format better? (Fwd: New website is published!)
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:28:56 GMT
On 2/11/06, Jacek Laskowski <eljotpl@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just come across it and wonder how much the apt format would help
> us. Is it any better than xdocs? Has anybody got any experience with
> it. Is it worth to try it out?
>
> I also found it at
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-apt-format.html. The first
> sentence reads very promising.
>
> APT stands for "Almost Plain Text". APT is a format thats takes the
> hassle out of writing documentation by striving for simplicity. APT
> syntax resembles plain-text more than it resembles markup languages
> such as HTML, and the following document contains some examples of
> available APT formatting. The following sections contain formatted
> text that demonstrates the use of APT to create paragraphs, headers,
> sections, lists, code samples, figures, tables, rules, breaks, and
> text level elements such as font styles, anchors, and special
> characters.

I've used APT a fair amount and I really like it. When I'm starting
fresh documenting a topic and there are no docs for that particular
topic, I prefer to use APT. But if xdocs already exist for the topic,
I just use them instead of starting over and re-writing them in APT.
APT is much easier to write, but I don't mind xdocs either.

Bruce
);'

Apache Geronimo (http://geronimo.apache.org/)

Castor (http://castor.org/)