geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML plan files not included in distributions
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:10:47 GMT
On 2/1/06, Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
> Well, I wasn't going to go that far.  Generally speaking, we can't
> easily reconstruct a plan from a set of GBeans (particularly for plans
> that use abbreviated XML syntax like for CSS/TSS or login modules).
> I'd prefer to start with "retrieve original deployment plan" and get
> that in there, and then if we want to we can think about stuff like
> you're describing.  (After all, any plan we provided in docs/ wouldn't
> match the current state of the configuration either...)

IMO, it's a problem that constucting a plan from the running
configurations is so difficult. I'm not sure exactly if this is an
issue with the builders or with the GBean architecture or both. But I
wonder if use of the XBean kernel would facilitate this functionality?
I have spoken with Dain about this very functionality but I can't
recall where our conversation ended.

As for including the default plans in the binary, I say put them in
the docs dir. I don't think I want to require that the deployer be
used to extract a plan and I certainly don't want to advise users to
monkey around in the config-store. Why make access to the plans any
more difficult than opening them from the docs directory in a text
editor?

Bruce
);'

Apache Geronimo (http://geronimo.apache.org/)