geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Confluence status (was: Why Confluence cannot not be used as a wiki, and how it might be fixed)
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2006 00:36:21 GMT
Replying primarily for the people on dev@geronimo.a.o.  Further
replies should probably just go to infra@.  Someone correct me if I'm
wrong.

On Feb 3, 2006, at 7:08 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> To quote Atlassian: "Confluence will likely die if slashdotted, so
> shouldn't
> be used as a *primary* project website if slashdotting is likely."
> Read
> "slashdotting" as heavy load, and we experience sufficient load on
> the Wiki
> to make caching mandatory.

IMHO, this quote comes out opposite as it was meant.

On Feb 2, 2006, at 4:29 PM, Jeff Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:56:44AM -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Even Atlassian has recommended against Confluence as a Wiki in our
>> enviroment at this time.
>
> Not quite; Confluence will likely die if slashdotted, so shouldn't be
> used as a *primary* project website if slashdotting is likely.

The distinction made is:

   - Confluence as a wiki, Good
   - Confluence as a live website, Bad

There are ways to use the *content* create via Confluence in a
website.  A number of people have working solutions already.  Most
fall into one of or a mix of this:

   1. Serving static pages that are generated whenever from content
in Confluence
   2. Smart front-end generating and caching pages from Confluence

A few projects do this successfully now.  The Directory guys have
nice system they worked up:

   -  Confluence Page: http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/
Protocol+Providers
   -  Static page in svn: http://directory.apache.org/subprojects/
providers.html

Of course the Maven guys have a maven/docs based tool that does the
same:

   -  Confluence Page: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/FAQs
   -  Static page in svn:  http://maven.apache.org/auto-faq.html

I think we are in good shape sans the fact that we should have our
own confluence install.  There seem to be a few good options for that
too.  I'm not quite as crystal clear on the status of those options.
Someone help me out as I will likely get this wrong:

   1.  Host confluence on a dedicated box provided by Atlassian in
our colo.
   2.  Refit one of our existing boxes to host confluence.
   3.  Have Contegix host the confluence sponsored by Atlassian.
   4.  Something I missed completely.

Hope this helps serve as a good "checkpoint" in the discussion.
Clarifications/corrections/comments welcome.

-David