geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Thoughts on splitting out "core" from, well, products & other stuff
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 03:15:07 GMT
What would folks think of (in principle, not right now) splitting out
the core Geronimo components from anything that wraps a 3rd-party
product/project?  So have one area for modules like kernel, security,
core, system, etc. and a separate area for modules like Jetty, Tomcat,
ActiveMQ, Directory, jUDDI, etc.  I guess mainly to draw the
distinction between what's really part of the infrastructure and
what's really "optional packages" that can be added on top (and I'm
talking about "optional" in a non-J2EE-server sense where you start
with literally nothing but the infrastructure and add only waht you
want, or something like that).  So we'd still pull a lot of that in
for our "J2EE" builds, but it would make a clearer distinction for
anyone who wanted a more custom build.

Thanks,
    Aaron