geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Roadmap, tasks and things to do?
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2006 03:29:17 GMT
Yet another item for the list:

Provide an option for Stateless Session Bean web services to
auto-generate WSDL, JAX-RPC mapping file, and webservices.xml.  In
other words, you include the Service Endpoint Interface and list in in
your ejb-jar.xml, and we do the rest.  This would only work if you
follow all the rules (no EJBs in method signatures, all JavaBeans have
an empty constructor, you don't use any data types that are too
obscure, etc., etc., etc.).  But man, I just did a 3-method,
4-argument EJB interface and it chalked up over 300 lines of config
between the WSDL and JAX-RPC mapping, when it was 100% boilerplate
mapping.

Related: provide a command-line tool to generate that junk.  We can
look at what Axis has to start with, but AFAICT it doesn't generate
the JAX-RPC mapping file, and I'd be fine accepting some limitations
on our tooling and output formats in the name of having something
reasonably useful for the happy path cases (starting with only
Document/Literal wrapped, for example).

I can't think of a great way to automate much if you want to provide
your own WSDL to work with an EJB, but maybe we could generate a
servlet-based service from that.  The WSDL-based approaches seem
harder because there's so much variation possible in the WSDL.  This
also goes for the client service-ref piece, where you need to produce
a couple of interfaces and a JAX-RPC mapping file from the WSDL.  But
we can put it on the list and maybe someone will be inspired.  :)

Thanks,
    Aaron