geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Fwd: License issues with commonj
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:16:56 GMT
I sent this earlier with some non-text inclusions, and haven't seen
it get through.  I'm trying again typing out some of the quoted pdf
contents.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com>
> Date: February 1, 2006 6:00:18 PM PST
> To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
> Subject: License issues with commonj
>
> We have a patch with an implementation of the commonj timer spec.
> I'd like to get this into svn soon.  One issue is straightening out
> the license provisions for the api and implementations.  AFAICT
> commonj is a joint effort of BEA and IBM.
>
> The bea website discussing commonj is:
> http://dev2dev.bea.com/wlplatform/commonj/twm.html
>
> After the download links it states:
>
> This specification is being made available on an RF basis (as
> detailed in the Copyright notice of the specification); therefore,
> BEA does not require an implementation license. If you prefer,
> however, you may request a license from BEA to implement the
> specification.
>
> The specification pdf says:

This specification may change before final release and you are
cautioned against relying on the content of this specification. IBM
and BEA  are currently soliciting your contributions and suggestions.
Licenses are available for the purposes of feedback and (optionally)
for implementation.

> and earlier:

IBM and BEA (collectively, the "Authors") agree to grant you a
royalty-free license, under reasonable, non-discriminatory terms and
conditions to patents that they deem necessary to implement the Timer
and Work Manager for Application Servers Specification.