geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From James Strachan <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:37:50 GMT
On 3 Feb 2006, at 15:08, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> James Strachan wrote:
>>
>> Incidentally its worth looking at other projects at Apache like Agila
>> and various projects on http://ws.apache.org like EWS, Mirae, Muse,
>> WSRF, TSIK etc which are kinda quiet, some near dormant.
>
> No, it is not worth looking at them, if the intent is to use
> them as precedents of a process some are finding objectionable.
> Saying, 'They did it so why can't we?' is not appropriate.

I guess I didn't explain myself well there at all Ken sorry. (I'm
full of cold :( ).
I was just trying to say I'd rather see large, successful communities
form first, then if need be parts of the project are split off if
they become so wildly successful by themselves. So I was trying to
show some examples of projects which maybe could have benefited from
starting inside a larger, less granular project/community first
rather than starting small and dwindling then being merged back
together again due to inactivity.

e.g. both Geronimo and Jakarta Commons have a broad range of
components inside them - many of which are reusable by themselves -
in both cases the courser grained projects helped grow a larger more
diverse community IMHO.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/