geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: timing on need for JAX-WS and JAX-B support
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 16:54:37 GMT
On Feb 14, 2006, at 12:43 AM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

> We haven't committed to doing JAX-B yet but there's been some
> interest.

I'd love to work on JAX-B but there are only so many hours in the day :(

> One concern with JAX-B is that its J2SE 1.5 specific and we want to
> continue to run under 1.4. I'd be interested in understanding the
> Geronimo 1.4/1.5 strategy.

I see two possible strategies here:

1) retrotranslator.sourceforge.net - build time or runtime
translation from Java 5 byte code to Java 1.4 byte code.  Strangely
enough, it seems to work perfectly (including debugging).  FWIU, the
conversion from 5 to 1.4 is a fairly trivial 1-to-1 translation.
Baisically, it removes the new extra op code in Java 5 and remaps new
apis in the java.* packages to apis in net.sf.retrotranslator.runtime.*.

2) abstraction layer - the main code is written in Java 1.4 and there
is an abstraction layer that deals with the Java 5 spcific bits like
looking up annotations.

James Strachan has done some extensive testing with retrotranslator
(including the JAX-B ri) and really wants to use it.  I think option
2 will work but will require a ton of work, so I'm leaning towards
option 1.  My gut says that option 1 will make people nervous at
first, but once they see it working, I think they will learn to love
the bomb ;)

-dain