geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Supporting applications that need a database
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:21:45 GMT
Dain has been complaining that the default database is no more and
IIUC suggesting that we reinstate it and by default hook at least ejb
applications that don't have an explicit database configuration up to
it.  Since I removed the default database I'd like to somewhat
preemptively explain my thinking.

Based on my support experiences with another app server that did
something like this, I think this is a really bad idea.  What
happened there was that no one knew how to connect their app to a non-
default database, and we got zillions of problem reports based on the
app using the default database rather than the one that was
misconfigured :-)

I also don't think that encouraging all applications to use the same
database is a very good policy.  It certainly invites collisions
between applications and reduces portability.

We have the capabilities to build a derby database for a particular
schema, and package it , and to bundle a datasource configuration
with a j2ee app plan.  This is used for the daytrader and uddi server
configurations.  Rather than including a database no one should
want :-) and encouraging people to use it, I would rather see us
automate the construction of a configured database for an app, and
the construction and bundling of a datasource configuration with the
app's plan.

thanks
david jencks