geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: BPEL contribution from Sybase
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:19:56 GMT
After a quick chat with Dims, I think I need to make a quick
correction to this email....

On Feb 13, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> I think ServiceMix is the perfect home for a BPEL engine.  Every
> JBI implementation that I am aware of has and integrated
> orchestration engine exposed via the BPEL specification.  I am not
> worried about "barriers" to any committers,  "accidental too-tight
> binding" or "UNrelated" mail on mailing lists.  All of these issues
> are worked out every day on mailing lists at Apache. I am much more
> worried about this donation falling into Apache politics that
> result in a sausage project that no one wants to eat.
>
> Sybase wants to donate to the service-mix community and the
> ServiceMix community wants to work with the code.  Any contributor
> will be welcomed by the ServiceMix community (as required by the
> apache way), and *if* a large community develops that wants to
> split off later they can (as is allowed by the apache process).
> Right now, I don't see this large community; all I do see is a few
> very grumpy individuals.  If the webservice project really really
> want to control this code, they can always fork it (as is allowed
> by the apache process).

I picked up on Ken's comments about having "a TLP devoted to Web
Services" and I should not have picked on the Web Services, instead I
think my point is made more clear by replacing the last line with:

    If any project inside or outside of Apache wants their own copy
of this code to develop they can always fork the code (as is allowed
by any open source project).

I apologies to Dims and the Web Services project for dragging them
back into this debate as they have clearly tried to remove themselves.

Sorry,

-dain