geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Removing attributes and refs from the config.xml
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:36:47 GMT
On Feb 26, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> 2) What to do now?
>
> For now, I put in the empty="true" (yes *that* was Dain's idea :D -
> sorry Dain, gotta throw you back under the bus - hehehe - j/k).  I
> probably would rather have a value="empty" and a value="remove" and a
> value="null" attribute, or something along those lines...similar to
> Spring.  I just think we need an interim solution relatively quick,
> and
> this was the best I could come up with.  Minimally we need the ability
> to "unset" an attribute all together...thats where the empty="true"
> thing came in.  But this brought up the ability to force a null and
> empty String to attributes and references.  I think using this
> optional
> attribute keeps things the same as they are today, but offers the
> flexibility to pass what we need to, including removing the value all
> together.
>
> If there is a better idea, then please bring it up...I am open to
> anything.

I think using the an attribute name "value" will be confusing for
spring users, but it does bring up a better idea...

1) Normal value
   <attribute name="someAttribute" value="42"/>
   <attribute name="someAttribute">42</attribute>

2) Don't set... constructor args will be injected with java default
values
   <reference name="TomcatValveChain"/>
   <attribute name="someAttribute"/>
   <attribute name="someAttribute"></attribute>

3) Inject empty string or pass empty string to property editor and
inject
   <attribute name="someAttribute" value=""/>

4) Inject null
   <attribute name="someAttribute" null="true"/>

-dain