geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plugin version numbers
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2006 00:31:02 GMT
I found the following Maven pages describing versions (I don't know if
these are out of date):

http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Dependency+Mediation+and+Conflict+Resolution

    http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Extending+Maven+2.0+Dependencies

In the 2nd URL above it says that the version section of a Maven version
should be numeric.  It describes a version being in the format:

]).

You are proposing that we have a '-' character in the revision section
(using Maven's terminology) which doesn't agree with the numeric
requirement.  The doc also says that a revision is optional and will
default to ".0" if not set.  So I'm not sure if Maven will see a
non-numeric revision and then default the revision to ".0" and then use
the revision containing the '-' as a qualifier.  If it is used as a
qualifier, it looks like the qualifier is lexicographically compared,
therefore geronimo_deployment_plugin_version=1.2.0-10 will be less than
geronimo_deployment_plugin_version=1.2.0-2 .

I haven't looked at the code to confirm any of this.  Maybe one of the
Maven guys could confirm what happens to your proposed
<geronimo-micro>-<plugin-build-number> containing the '-' character.

Regards,

John