geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: Multiple servers sharing the same repo and config store
Date Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:33:31 GMT
Hi,

This change adds the ability to start multiple server instances against
the same bin, config-store, deploy, lib, repository and shema folders of
a Geronimo installation.

An additional instance can be set-up by copying the var folder to the
directory where you want to create a new instance. Then, from the new
server directory, you can start the new instance like this:

java -Dorg.apache.geronimo.base.dir=<Geronimo installation directory>
-Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.dir=<new server directory> -jar <Geronimo
installation directory>/bin/server.jar

* org.apache.geronimo.base.dir is the full path of the directory where
Geronimo has been installed, i.e. it is the directory containing the
config-store and repository to be shared; and
* org.apache.geronimo.server.dir is the full path of the directory where
the new instance has been set-up. This is in this directory that the
instance specific working files are created, i.e. the stuff in var. Note
that the value of this property can be either an absolute or relative
directory. If a relative directory is specified, then it is resolved
based on the Geronimo installation directory.

If you are happy to start a new instance under the same Geronimo
installation directory, then you can create a new nested folder and copy
var into it. Then, from the Geronimo installation directory, you can
start this new instance like this:

java -Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=<nested folder name> -jar
bin/server.jar

* org.apache.geronimo.server.name is the name of the nested folder. This
has a similar effect than starting with org.apache.geronimo.server.dir
set to the relative path of the nested folder.

Thanks,
Gianny