geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Calvin Austin <caus...@spikesource.com>
Subject Re: Roadmap, tasks and things to do?
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 17:27:13 GMT
Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> Ever since we shipped 1.0, I have been getting a surprising number of
> private emails from old fiends, old Geronimo contributers, companies,
> and just random people telling me that the are excited about Geronimo
> and want to join in.  They all inevitably ask me for advise on what
> to work on, and I really have no idea other than "look at JIRA". So
> I'd like to solicit the community to help me create a roadmap, tasks,
> things to do list, what ever we call it.
>
> Before we get into building this, I'd like to focus the discussion,
> so we don't end up in mailing-list fantasy land :)  Lets agree to not
> talk about the technology used to track the tasks; once we have the
> content we can discuss using JIRA, wiki, html or creating a Gopher
> site.  Secondly, lets focus on things that are reasonable to do in
> the next 9 months.  Finally, don't worry about someone else working
> on something you want to work on.  With open communication on the
> mailing list, I think everyone will be able to work something they
> find interesting without stepping on toes.  Oh, one final thing,
> please don't try to "take a task" until we have this list complete.
>
> Without further delay, here are some things off the top of my head:
>
> o Conversion to Maven 2 - Very important and a huge task
>
> o Ant versions of the Geronimo plugins
>
> o  XDoclet for all configurations
>
> o Integration tests that cover servlets, webservices and jms
>
> o Little-G - Geronimo with a small foot print
>
> o Global non-persistent JNDI implementation
>
> o EJB 2.x - Once I get my refractor committed, it will be obvious
> where the 2.x implementation needs work like better caching
>
> o JEE 5 - There is a ton of stuff under this, but it would be good to
> start with a list of what is required for JEE 5
>
> I don't want to speak for the other ares of Geronimo I don't work on
> regularly, but I am sure that there are good opportunities to help in
> the console, jms, javamail, ejb, clustering, esb/jbi/bpm, tooling,
> performance, build, testing, samples, documentation, so if you are
> more familiar with one of those areas, please post.
>
> I think this is a "once in a project chance" to build a big vibrant
> community of developers, and let's not let it pass us by.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -dain

After following the discussions about project donations over the past
week and the sometimes difficult questions each donation raises. I think
its a good time to revisit this wishlist to see how it all fits together
in a bigger picture.

What would be the top 3 things that would make Geronimo successful and
the de-facto choice for open source J2EE app developers?

My personal choice would be
1. To make it easy for developers to start or migrate to Geronimo, that
could be migration tools/deployment, how to documentation (there are
some good examples so far, Hernan and others are very focused on JBoss
:*), feature set leveling (obviously in process), testing that your app
still works!. Some donations may fit here.
2. Make the release/build process more agile, resilient (eg maven2/ant)
3. First place to come for latest J2EE technology.

If anyone else is interesting in 1) migration activities then let me
know, I think with Hernans great start we can divide the workload up and
finish this task sooner than later

regards
calvin