geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <>
Subject Re: [vote] XBean donation
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:56:03 GMT

David Blevins wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2006, at 3:09 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>>> How can XBean be out of scope but modules/kernel is not?
>> If we're going to switch Geronimo over to XBean, then yes, it's in
>> scope.  But the answers to my question never said that.  It was
>> "ServiceMix and Jetty depends on it" or whatever.
> Never?
>>> XBean is a
>>> better that, including solving a number of problems that we're
>>> currently facing (such as, say, serialized objects).  I'm eager to
>>> start integrating the code.
>> Fantastic.
>> Essentially I asked "What are we going to do w/ XBean in Geronimo?"
>> That was the answer I was looking for - thanks for just saying it
>> plainly and clearly.
>> Amen.
> On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:57 AM, James Strachan wrote:
>> It is a very useful core piece of technology
>> and quite a lot of us are pretty excited to work with it in Geronimo
> What's not plain and clear about this?

While I don't think there is much upside to continuing this thread since
I already thanked Aaron for being clear and direct and this finally
achieves what I had hoped for last summer (XBean back in Geronimo) I'll
note that the full response from James was :

   "ActiveMQ, Jetty, OpenEJB, ServiceMix are all
   using it as an optional lightweight kernel for
   efficient and concise configuration and deployment
   in Spring-ish ways.  It is a very useful core
   piece of technology and quite a lot of us are
   pretty excited to work with it in Geronimo"

I think the part you omitted was important - I read it to be more about
the fact that since it's used by ActiveMQ, OpenEJB and ServiceMix, he
was excited to keep working with it in that context here in Geronimo.

Sorry about that.  If this still not clear to you, I'm happy to state :

   When I asked for a public statement of intent
   after the vote was already tallied, I did
   misunderstand James' answer to mean something
   different than "we're going to switch the Geronimo
   kernel over to XBean".  I apologize for the

I hope this puts this finally to rest.

View raw message