geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Let's rewind!!! (Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project)
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:38:35 GMT

Bill Flood wrote:
> Geir, approaching Agila was our first avenue.  We looked at what they had
> and I initiated several conversations about donating to that incubator
> project.
>
> We offered a base line upon which to build but there did not seem to be any
> uptake although both committers said they were happy to have us come in and
> provide coding help on what they already had.

I don't really know.  I wasn't part of that conversation, although I did
have a few discussions w/ people after this all started.

I expect that what you just said might have been the problem.  They
already had a BPEL engine, and it sounds like you were suggesting they
stop and reboot on your codebase.  After all, they have some users and
wouldn't want to just drop them.

> I was a little mystified.
> Jumping in and bringing their stuff up to where we already were seemed
> counter productive given the large gap in code maturity and capability so we
> passed.
>
> Based on the support we have seen for our contribution from others in Apache
> thus far, I have to believe that our impression wasn't just the result of
> our inherent subjectivity
>
> I believe we did approach them in good faith and I'm not sure why there was
> disinterest in our offer via Agila but here we are.  We left the previous
> conversation on good terms.  At this point, my preference would be that the
> Agila folks look at the contribution and see if they want to become part of
> that larger community for this new baseline.  To me, it's not about
> ownership, it's about critical mass in the community to carry something
> forward.

How about making a fresh start then...  If the Agila people are
interested, put out a call for any and all other implementations of BPEL
that might be donated and build a larger community, mixing the best of
anything that is donated to get the best BPEL engine and community we can?

In the same way that we built Geronimo from "best of breed" J2EE-ish OSS
projects that are out there, I'm sure we could do a similar thing with BPEL.

Maybe do a "bake off" to help find the best codebase, and have the
community collaborate around that?  (I'm not sure what that would
entail, actually...)

Would you be interested in that?

geir