geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Epiq Geronimo Team <geronimot...@epiqtech.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Web site update
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:04:45 GMT
Great work, Hernan!  Its good to see you organizing stuff too.  Our team
quickly ran through the site.  Here are our initial comments on the
Apache Geronimo web site we reviewed located here:

http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/website

1. The black border around the bar on the left side makes the navigation
area look really dark.  Everyone here thought we should either change
the border color to the light blue (to match the same as the header for
the table).  Or else make the left side look more like a bar and border
white like in the mock up.

http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/website/contributors.html
(contributors table)
http://people.apache.org/~bsnyder/geronimo/site/
http://people.apache.org/~hogstrom/website/schemas.html

On these examples, it makes the table look a little less dark.  The nav
bar would likely look cleaner and people would still be able to quickly
identify it as a nav bar.  Maybe the way Hernan did it with a thinner
light blue border is the way to go for a site with only two columns
instead of three.

2. The title for each area of the navigation bar is pushed slightly over
to the left of the table.  Perhaps adding some cell padding between
table and font on the left menu bar would be helpful.

3. Same thing, between the left nav bar and the main body table.  Adding
a little space would likely help.

4. There is not really a need for bullets on the navigation bar on the
left.  Most users will recognize this as a navigation bar and won't need
the bullet points.  The bullet points are typically used for items in a
series within a document, outline, or text, rather than in web
navigation.  In our mockup, we had these on the right side for article
highlights or key Geronimo news.

5. On my Firefox install, the font looks kind of like a Serrif Font
instead of a Sans Seriff Font - Seriff fonts don't modern, ie they evoke
images of offline stuff like newspapers, type, books, etc instead of the
web and modern stuff. (We suggest Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, but those
are just a few.)  We checked it on some other computers / browsers, and
the fonts were good (Serrif).  Might be something to check, but no big
deal.  Maybe my Firefix install is quirky.

6. On our mockup, we made it with 3 columns.  The third column might be
helpful for reading.  The main reason why we made it a three column site
was that it is difficult to read the text if it floats all the way over
to the left, especially on a short page.  We realize that perhaps 3
columns might be be hard to do in the content management system,
though.  Perhaps it is something to do in the next version of the web site.

7. In the sections where there is a blue bar running horizontally across
the screen, it might help to slightly reduce the space between the
header title text and the bar - maybe just a little bit.

Those are a few of our suggestions / comments.  There are also a few
broken links, but those are easy to find.  Anyway, Hernan has put this
together quickly and admirably.  Let me know if you guys need any more
feedback or graphics.  I'm sure other people will have some valuable
comments as well.

Glenn