geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rick McGuire <rick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Compilation errors in module javamail-transport
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 00:26:43 GMT
David Blevins wrote:

> On Feb 8, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:
>
>> David Blevins wrote:
>>> At first blush it looks like there are just three util classes that
>>> make the javamail-transport module dependent on our specific
>>> javamail implementation.
>>>
>>>     [javac] import org.apache.geronimo.mail.util.Hex;
>>>     [javac] import org.apache.geronimo.mail.util.Base64;
>>>     [javac] import org.apache.geronimo.mail.util.XText
>>>
>>> Is this the case or are there other things that make our
>>> javamail-transport module dependent on our specific javamail
>>> implementation?
>> I believe there are a few package-scope methods defined on some of
>> the javax.mail.* classes that also introduce some dependencies (note
>> that the Sun impl also appears to do that in some places).
>>
>> I placed those classes in the javamail jar rather than the
>> javamail-transport module because the implementation of the
>> MimeUtility class will also need the same converters.
>>

> Do you think it makes much sense to try and keep them separate?  Or
> are they too coupled already to be worth it?
>
> It's kind of a PITA to have to have a tight (i.e. snapshot) dependency
> on a spec project.  But obviously javamail is a mess and it may just
> be too hard.
I'm starting to think it was a mistake to have javamail-transport be a
separate jar file from the spec code.  In the Sun case, all of the code
is in a single jar, so you only need the javamail jar and the activation
jar to use it.  Because of our current split, we require 3 jars.  It
might make sense to move the transport/store code into the spec jar
since they are so tightly coupled.

Rick