geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept donation of a business process engine into the ServiceMix project
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2006 21:03:16 GMT

James Strachan wrote:
> We have received the generous donation of a complete and working BPE
> engine to the ServiceMix project...
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/200602.mbox/%3cf94cbdb00602011120t68cfb561necc044dbc488645a@mail.gmail.com%3e

> the contributor has offered to donate to Apache & complete the necessary
> software grants & IP clearance and to work with us on integrating it
> into ServiceMix.

I assume we'd all get to see the code under an Apache License before
deciding to accept.  How else could we vote it in?

[SNIP]

I'll go out on a limb here :

> [X] -1 I object because: .......

... I think that a BPEL engine is something that spans many of the WS
and SOA oriented projects at the ASF, such as ServiceMix, Tuscany,
Synapse, Agila, etc...

However, that's not my main reason, because honestly, if I was the only
one that cared about that, I wouldn't ever attempt to stand in the way
of people wanting to do cool things.

However, this proposal has sent up far too many red flags, has alienated
too many people, and is causing too much of a bad feeling in people, for
ServiceMix, for Geronimo and for the ASF in general.

I'd suggest you make a big effort to cool things down and get a broad
conversation going, over at general@incubator, drive to consensus, and
then regroup and try again.

geir