geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 1.0.1 Release and the configId issue
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 23:55:54 GMT
[X] -1 This is an issue that must be resolved in the 1.0.x branch

I strongly feel we should not be releasing something that is not
backwards compatible.  We aren't producing milestone releases any more
so we need to be committed to compatibility between releases.

If we do ship an incompatible release it may have a negative impact on
Geronimo's reputation.  Users evaluating Geronimo for deployment will
will be deterred with the worry about compatibility being broken again
in future releases.  I also wouldn't like to hear this being used as FUD
against Geronimo by competitive solutions.

I also wonder how many articles on Geronimo have been written that would
not work.

Can we discuss Aarons's suggestion below of using "1.0" in all the
configIds for the 1.0.1 release, as It would be a pity to discard all
the work that has gone into getting the 1.0.x branch where it is so far.

Regards,

John