geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting applications that need a database
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:53:25 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> Dain has been complaining that the default database is no more and
> IIUC suggesting that we reinstate it and by default hook at least ejb
> applications that don't have an explicit database configuration up to
> it.  Since I removed the default database I'd like to somewhat
> preemptively explain my thinking.
>
> Based on my support experiences with another app server that did
> something like this, I think this is a really bad idea.  What happened
> there was that no one knew how to connect their app to a non-default
> database, and we got zillions of problem reports based on the app
> using the default database rather than the one that was misconfigured :-)
>
> I also don't think that encouraging all applications to use the same
> database is a very good policy.  It certainly invites collisions
> between applications and reduces portability.
>
> We have the capabilities to build a derby database for a particular
> schema, and package it , and to bundle a datasource configuration with
> a j2ee app plan.  This is used for the daytrader and uddi server
> configurations.  Rather than including a database no one should want
> :-) and encouraging people to use it, I would rather see us automate
> the construction of a configured database for an app, and the
> construction and bundling of a datasource configuration with the app's
> plan.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

I agree that it is preferable to automate the construction of databases
rather than encouraging users/apps to use a default database.

For demo type applications, complete automation of the creation of the
database at deployment time would be nice.

For non-demo applications deployed in an enterprise environment, the DBA
would probably want to be involved in the creation of the database and
possibly customize the DDL, security etc.

John