geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Paul McMahan <paulmcma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sample plan bits for configId branch, please review!
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2006 15:07:34 GMT
Both options seem pretty equal to me in terms of what they can express but I
like the second option better mostly for stylistic reasons.  Namely, based
on a hunch that typical deployment plans would be less verbose (and
therefore less error prone) using this option.

A few suggestions for the second option:

-   Make the current environment/configId element also be a child of the
dependency element.
    This would help make it clear that the "type", "groupId", "version",
etc. elements describe
    the target of the dependency and not the dependency itself.
-   "scope" seems a bit of a misnomer to me, I think "dependency-type" might
be clearer, or
    you may prefer just "type" if you agree with the previous suggestion
-   For the value of scope (aka dependency-type) I'm concerned that "both"
could be
    misleading since it already has more than two potential values and more
could be added
    later. So I would suggest listing each scope individually.

Here's an example of what the dependency element could look like based on
these suggestions:
    <dependency>
        <configId>
            <groupId>geronimo</groupId>
            <type>car</type>
            <artifactId>geronimo-gbean-deployer</artifactId>
            <version>1.0.1-SNAPSHOT</version>
        </configId>
        <dependency-types>
            <dependency-type>service</dependency-type>
            <dependency-type>classes</dependency-type>
        <dependency-types>
   </dependency>

Best wishes,
Paul