geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincent Massol" <vmas...@pivolis.com>
Subject RE: offline deployment with deploy distribute?
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:53:37 GMT
Hi Aaron,

I need a Java API for integrating it in Cargo. Right now one integration
pain is that it's not possible to relocate the location of the var/
directory. David Jencks made a proposal on this list last week but I don't
know if it has progressed much since then.

> There was
> talk about creating a dedicated offline development tool, but I don't
> think it's been a super-high priority.  Of course, having more use
> cases helps motivate things like that.  :)

I'm pretty sure you'll have users ask for this. It's useful in situation
where you need to prepare a container configuration and package it as part
of your build for example. I know you guys are working on a packager that
would create a G configuration but unfortunately the current implementation
is using Maven1 and is not easily reusable in Java code. If you had a pure
java implementation independent of Maven that would help a lot.

In any case all containers do support offline deployments so I'm pretty sure
G will have to provide that too in some manner.

> I'm not sure if there's a JIRA for this or not -- if you get a chance,
> can you review the JIRAs in the "deployment" category and see if
> there's one discussing offline deployment and if not add one and
> describe why you need it?

Kevan pointed me to http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1507.

Thanks
-Vincent