geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confluence status
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2006 22:27:38 GMT
On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 04:50:13AM -0500, Joe Schaefer wrote:
> IIRC the technical requirements come from experience with the existing
> moin-moin wiki, so that's probably the context best suited for Noel's
> remarks.

Yes, and I think it's a fair approach to take.

Here's how I see things going forward..

1) Towards Confluence as a direct MoinMoin alternative

Infrastructure@ want some decent benchmarks demonstrating that Confluence
can survive sustained heavy load (ala MoinMoin) and/or spikes (slashdot).
Noel rightly says caching is essential. Briefly experimenting with 'ab -c
100 -n 1000' suggests that Confluence's internal caching may be enough.
I'll ask the Confluence team if they can produce some benchmarks.

2) Confluence as doc staging/development environment

There are various ways to suck content from Confluence to a live site:

 - Maven has Doxia in development.
 - Codehaus have a Perl script (Confluenza) which sucks down content via
   XML-RPC to build their website.
 - Pier is working on a Confluence plugin that saves static HTML.
 - Anyone can rig up a script using Confluence's XML-RPC/SOAP API.

Confluence does not have to be running on ASF hardware for its use as a
doc staging environment. Some projects might use the Codehaus Confluence,
some use http://opensource2.atlassian.com/confluence/oss/. It would be
nice if the ASF had an internal Confluence installation for doc staging,
and that's what I proposed Atlassian would sponsor a box (partly) for.

--Jeff