geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Reducing the size of the minimal-tomcat-server footprint
Date Sat, 18 Feb 2006 01:05:51 GMT

On Feb 17, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2006, at 3:48 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>
>> With direction of David Jencks I've been working to reduce the
>> footprint of the minimal-tomcat-server by cleaning up dependencies
>> (which really affects all assemblies).
>>
>> With the latest patch available on GERONIMO-1613 we have the
>> footprint of minimal down to about 16.4 meg from a starting point
>> of about 27 meg.
>
> Wow! Good job.
>
>> +---activeio
>> |   \---jars
>> |           activeio-2.0-r118.jar
>> |
>> +---asm
>> |   \---jars
>> |           asm-1.4.3.jar
>
> I don't think we need either of these.

I don't know about asm, but I believe activeio is used by the jmx
remoting/security, so if you remove it I would expect jsr-88 to stop
working.

>> +---org.apache.geronimo.specs
>> |   \---jars
>> |           geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.5_spec-1.0.jar
>> |           geronimo-j2ee-deployment_1.1_spec-1.0.jar
>> |           geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec-1.0.jar
>> |           geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.0.jar
>> |           geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1-SNAPSHOT.jar
>>   .... encountered some problems trying to remove this from
>>        config\rmi-naming .... still looking into this
>
> We should be able to drop j2ee_1.4_specs.
>
>> |           geronimo-jsp_2.0_spec-1.0.jar
>> |           geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0.jar
>> |           geronimo-qname_1.1_spec-1.0.jar
>> |           geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec-1.0.jar
>> |
>> +---stax
>> |   \---jars
>> |           stax-api-1.0.jar
>
> What uses this in the minimal?
xmlbeans, this cannot be removed.

>> +---xerces
>> |   \---jars
>> |           xercesImpl-2.6.2.jar
>> |           xmlParserAPIs-2.2.1.jar
>>     ... I need to figure out how these are getting included
>
> Those are also duped in the endorsed directory, but I think it may
> be very difficult to get rid of these right now.

I think we'd have do delete xerces by hand.  I believe these are
getting pulled in as dependencies of j2ee-system which are also
copied into the endorsed dir.  Preventing them from getting copied
into the repo won't work :-), but deleting them later might be ok.
We might remove everything in lib from the repo.

Also the concurrent libs are required by e.g. the connector stuff.
We ought to move the the backport package, but that is a different
effort :-)

thanks
david jencks