geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Specs 1.1-SNAPSHOT -- more opinions please!
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:14:41 GMT

On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:07 AM, David Blevins wrote:

> [...]
>>

> Come on.  We are not looking at 545 versions of javamail -- if we
> were i would *certainly* put my foot down hard at releasing 545
> identical jars for javax.servlet and the other 12 spec jars that
> don't change.
>
> We are looking at maybe 8 release of javamail, possibly 4 of
> corba.  Just guessing.  That would give us this repo for all the
> public to consume.  If you weren't using javamail or corba, you'd
> would only ever have to worry about the "1.0" version of
> everything.  Those are already J2EE 1.4 certified and most haven't
> changed in 2 years.
>
> geronimo-activation_1.0.2_spec-1.0
> geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.0
> geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.1
> geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.2
> geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.3
> geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.4
> geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.5
> geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec-1.0
> geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.5_spec-1.0
> geronimo-j2ee-deployment_1.1_spec-1.0
> geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec-1.0
> geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.0
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.1
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.2
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.3
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.4
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.5
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.6
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.7
> geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.8
> geronimo-jaxr_1.0_spec-1.0
> geronimo-jaxrpc_1.1_spec-1.0
> geronimo-jsp_2.0_spec-1.0
> geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0
> geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0
> geronimo-qname_1.1_spec-1.0
> geronimo-saaj_1.1_spec-1.0
> geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec-1.0
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.0
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.2
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.3
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.4
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.5
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.6
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.7
> geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.8
>
> That would represent 100% of the jars publicly available and
> consumed by the public.  Life for people who just use servlets or
> jsp is simple and leveraging other projects that use servlets or
> jsp is also clean as they will be guaranteed to have the same
> servlet jar version as you (there is only one available).
>
> If we did things according to your proposal, there would be 9
> choices for each spec, 153 spec jars floating in the public and
> exactly 124 of them will be duplicates of previously released
> jars.  Except the trick is, you won't actually know which ones are
> truly diplicates of other jars; you'd have to diff the scm like I
> did.  Everyone would be forced to upgrade, even if they don't use
> javamail or corba, just to be sure and before you know it all 154
> of those jars will be in use.
>
> IMHO, this will create a big mess for everyone who uses spec jars
> and has to deal with several other artifacts also using different

As I expressed previously, I think it is a bigger mess to be unable
to determine the contents of the uber-spec jar.  If you can suggest a
way to make it easy to find out which individual spec jars are
aggregated into the uber-spec jar, I will stop objecting to
individual versions.

thanks
david jencks