geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:55:59 GMT

On Jan 16, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>
>> To clarify, the tomcat and jetty interpretations of the multiple
>> virtual
>> host elements in an ejb web service plan are completely unrelated:
>> -- jetty: the vh elements are actually used as virtual host names
>> -- tomcat: the first vh element if present is used to find a
>> tomcat host
>> object, whose name has nothing to do with any aliases/virtual host
>> names.
>
> I don't agree here.  According to the Tomcat doc, the Host name is
> "Network name of this virtual host, as registered in your Domain Name
> Service server."  So it is a virtual host name.  Where I think
> where the
> code can be expanded is searching the alias name for a match in
> case the
> name is not the same as the VH.  This is probably a good thing to add.

OK, good.  I'm glad to find out the host name and virtual host name
are connected.

One possibility to assign meaning to a list of vh names for tomcat is,

for each vh name in the list, look for a host with that name.   If
there is such a host, see if it's alias list matches the remaining vh
names.  If it does not, throw a deployment exception.

I'm still really nervous about trying to automatically create a host
gbean since it appears to be really a global shared object in tomcat
and creating one could cause so many difficult to understand problems
for users.

thanks
david jencks