geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: v1.x Installer comments - Long
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 17:49:09 GMT
I'm afraid that there is a temptation we might be succumbing to to
gold plate the installer since only eric is actually doing the
work.    We can easily turn the installer into a permanent full time
job for as many people as we can get to work on it.

Working on the installer is no fun IMNSHO based on my experience.  I
want this part of the project to end really soon so eric can do
something a bit more fun.

My point of view about the function of the installer is that it is
the primary means we can show the component oriented nature of
geronimo and let people build their own server.  It is considerably
harder to set up geronimo using the installer than to unpack one of
the prebuilt servers, and nothing we can do can change that.

I want the installer to show that you can build a lot of different
servers out of the configurations we supply.  This means to me that
it should  include exactly the parts you specify and that the
configuration options for those parts you specify should be able to
be set in the installer.  One of those configuration options is very
definitely whether the configuration is started, so IMO it should be
shown in the installer.

My preference would be to fix the icons, make the changes so only the
jars for the configs you select are installed, and declare victory.

If we want more, I would prefer to insert warnings rather than
disable functionality.  For instance, put a divider in between the
ports etc and the check boxes for activating the configs that says
"ADVANCED FUNCTIONALITY KEEP OUT" (obviously bad wording) and perhaps
a warning page if you select 2 web containers "YOU PROBABLY DON"T
WANT TO DO THAT".

That's more than enough of a rant.  To me the only critical missing
piece in the installer is including only the needed jars.

thanks
david jencks

On Jan 27, 2006, at 8:22 AM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> On Jan 27, 2006, at 5:54 AM, Erik Daughtrey wrote:
>>> Given the comments I've gotten, I'm going to change the installer
>>> and go back
>>> to the behavior where it does not allow the selection of both web
>>> container
>>> packs to install. I'm going to ditch the additional buttons which
>>> allow
>>> selected features to be inactive at runtime.
>>>
>>> We could put this up for a vote, but since there have been very
>>> few comments
>>> on this topic, I assume that most folks just want an installer
>>> that works
>>> well.
>>>
>> I pretty much strongly prefer the way the installer works now, I
>> think I asked for it to be this way :-)
>> I won't stand in anyones way though.
>> My view is that the installer should present all the options
>> reasonably available.  They are MUCH easier to configure in the
>> installer than in any other way, and I think that the additional
>> confusion while using the installer is minimal.
> I think most folks agree that the vast majority of users will never
> want
> to run with two web containers installed.  The exceptions that I can
> think of are:
>
> 1) Geronimo developers - who most likely won't ever use the installer
>
> 2) Novice users who aren't sure which web container to use and want to
> try them both out. Rather than confusing them with instructions on how
> to setup ports for simultaneous containers or instructions on how to
> switch between web containers (creating two separate config stores or
> enabling the config to use just certain portions of the same
> config-store). Isn't it just simpler/easier to have them lay down two
> separate *isolated* installations for their comparisons?
>
> IMHO, the confusion of someone accidentally laying down two web
> containers outweighs any potential benefit.
>
> Concerning the enable/disable of selected components.  It seems quite
> strange to select installation options on panel 1 and then have
> panel 4
> and panel 5 ask if you want the options that you selected on panel 1
> enabled.  I would guess that an average user might think "Didn't I
> already tell the installer I want these options installed?"
>
> What is the common use case for someone wanting to install an
> option and
> then disable it immediately in the installer?
>
> Thanks
> -Dave-
>
>> thanks
>> david jencks