geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Release procedure (was Re: [Fwd: [Vote] 1.0 Release - Do we ship it?])
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:34:02 GMT
my vote was of course with the expectation that it passes the TCK...

This brings up an interesting question, and a novel one since passing
the TCK is an additional step on our release procedures that most
projects don't worry about and it is very critical for us.

1) Right now, we vote on releasing a certain rev # in SVN head.  I
think this is important to continue to do independent of the TCK,
because it establishes a base of agreement before the heavy lifting
of TCK passing is done.  (Of course, CI might help ensure that the
official TCK step is less work/less surprises)

2) We then branch/tag/whatever, produce a binary, and run the TCK.

So now comes the question, what next?  We've learned that offering
the tested binaries to the public as a release candidate is good -
people find problems.  So do we do that from now on as a matter of
course for some time (x days) and then vote on the final release?

That way we all agree to live with whatever bugs were found in the
release candidate (if there were any found) or decide that they were
too severe, and we fix and then try again.

Are there alternatives?

geir

geirm@apache.org