geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Replication using totem protocol
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 23:27:28 GMT
On Jan 12, 2006, at 12:28 PM, lichtner@bway.net wrote:

> I didn't see it - I'm not sure why.
>
>> According to the website (http://www.bway.net/~lichtner/evs4j.html):
>>
>>      "Extended Virtual Synchrony for Java (EVS4J), an Apache-
>> Licensed, pure-Java implementation of the fastest known totally
>> ordered reliable multicast protocol."
>
> Yes, I wrote that.
>
>> Once you have a total ordered messing protocol, implementing a
>> distributed lock is trivial (I can go into detail if you want).
>
> Yes. You just send a totally-ordered message and wait for it to
> arrive.
>
>> I suggest we ask Guglielmo if he would like to donate his
>> implementation to this incubator project
>
> I don't know about donating it. Who would they want me to transfer the
> copyright to?

No.  You license the code to the Apache Software Foundation giving
the foundation the rights to relicense under any license (so the
foundation can upgrade the license as they did with ASL2).  We do ask
that you change the copyrights on the version of the code you give to
the ASF to something like "Copyright 2004 The Apache Software
Foundation or its licensors, as applicable."

>> and if he would like to work on a pessimistic distributed locking
> implementation.
>> What do you think?
>
> I would definitely like to work on it, but I still work for a
> living, so
> that's something to think about. (I happen to be between jobs right
> now.)

Nothing better to do between jobs than coding :)

> Also, what do you need to locks for?

Locking web sessions and stateful session beans in the cluster when a
node is working on it.

-dain