geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Specs 1.1-SNAPSHOT -- more opinions please!
Date Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:07:01 GMT

On Jan 30, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> Think of what the alternative is that you are asking the end
> developer to cope w/.  He must grok what is the current correct
> collection of versions are.  Even if all the APIs mature and their
> version numbers never change thereafter, there will be confusion
> when we say everything is 1.0 except for CORBA which is 1.3 and
> JavaMail which is 1.545.  We should also consider the situation
> when we accommodate new JSRs as well.

Come on.  We are not looking at 545 versions of javamail -- if we
were i would *certainly* put my foot down hard at releasing 545
identical jars for javax.servlet and the other 12 spec jars that
don't change.

We are looking at maybe 8 release of javamail, possibly 4 of corba.
Just guessing.  That would give us this repo for all the public to
consume.  If you weren't using javamail or corba, you'd would only
ever have to worry about the "1.0" version of everything.  Those are
already J2EE 1.4 certified and most haven't changed in 2 years.

geronimo-activation_1.0.2_spec-1.0
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.0
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.1
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.2
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.3
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.4
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.5
geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.5_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-deployment_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.1
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.2
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.3
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.4
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.5
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.6
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.7
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.8
geronimo-jaxr_1.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-jaxrpc_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-jsp_2.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0
geronimo-qname_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-saaj_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.2
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.3
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.4
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.5
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.6
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.7
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.8

That would represent 100% of the jars publicly available and consumed
by the public.  Life for people who just use servlets or jsp is
simple and leveraging other projects that use servlets or jsp is also
clean as they will be guaranteed to have the same servlet jar version
as you (there is only one available).

If we did things according to your proposal, there would be 9 choices
for each spec, 153 spec jars floating in the public and exactly 124
of them will be duplicates of previously released jars.  Except the
trick is, you won't actually know which ones are truly diplicates of
other jars; you'd have to diff the scm like I did.  Everyone would be
forced to upgrade, even if they don't use javamail or corba, just to
be sure and before you know it all 154 of those jars will be in use.

IMHO, this will create a big mess for everyone who uses spec jars and
has to deal with several other artifacts also using different
versions of the spec jars.

-David