geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Poll: Resolve configId Versions for 1.0.1
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 23:59:51 GMT
On 1/24/06, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
> Why do the version numbers change for patches?  Shouldn't this be
> backward compatible?

That the first option in the poll -- to make the configIds retain the
version number 1.0 even though the rest of the server marches on to
1.0.1.  Currently, the version for each configId is based on the
Geronimo version number, so everything was incremented to
1.0.1-SNAPSHOT (and ultimately 1.0.1) together.

However, even if we select this as the short term (1.0.1) solution, I
don't think it's a general solution.  I don't think people should have
to change their plans to go from 1.0.x to 1.1x or even to 2.x unless
we actually change the schemas in a non-backward-compatible way (and
even if we did that we'd usually provide a converter to silently
update a plan using the old format to the new format, but the schema
converters don't currently touch embedded data like configIds).

My 2 cents is that the long-term solution should somehow involve the
version number being optional, so you can use it if you feel strongly
about it (running big server farm, want to force everything to be
identical) and omit it if you would prefer to maximize compatibility.

Thanks,
    Aaron