geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:07:13 GMT
> I'm still really nervous about trying to automatically create a host
> gbean since it appears to be really a global shared object in tomcat
> and creating one could cause so many difficult to understand problems
> for users.

It sounded like you had a problem with creating a GBean to run as part
of an application, because then two applications could have
conflicting host GBeans.  I can't argue with that.  However, I had
really been thinking that if our Tomcat deployer notices that an app
refers to a virtual host that there's no existing HostGBean for, it
would deploy a new HostGBean in the server (not as part of the
application), so the first time you deploy an app with a missing host
GBean, that host GBean would be created and available to be shared by
all applications.

I understand that creating things like that under the covers is not
necessarily optimal, but I'd like to avoid an end user ever needing to
deploy GBeans in order to basic server functionality to work, and I
consider virtual hosts to be pretty basic for a web app.

Another possibility is to make it easy to create "virtual host GBeans"
in the console, and then associate applications with those.  We could
try to limit Jetty to behave more like Tomcat, and create "Host
GBeans" for both containers (even if it's kind of artificial for
Jetty), and have our virtual host deployment element point to those.
If they were easy enough to configure in the console (and the settings
if not the actual GBeans were portable across web containers) then I
wouldn't care that a user had to do that before deploying an
application that mapped to one of them.

Thanks,
    Aaron