geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kresten Krab Thorup (Trifork) <k...@trifork.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Yoko - A CORBA Server Sub-Project
Date Thu, 26 Jan 2006 12:09:20 GMT

On Jan 25, 2006, at 9:20 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> What is the relationship between this and the trifork code just
> donated via Jira and the code we've been working on in the geronimo
> tree?

The code I uploaded yesterday implements RMI/IIOP on top of the ORB.

Example: When you invoke a corba remote object, and pass along a
plain serializable java object such as java.util.HashMap, then there
needs to be some code that implements an ObjectOutputStream which
writes the data in a format for passing via IIOP/GIOP.

Similarily, any java.rmi.Remote object can be exported as a CORBA
object, and this involves mapping method names, marshalling arguments
and return values and so on.  Also, some objects needs to be mapped
specially; for example java.lang.String is mapped to a WStringValue
corba object on the wire.

All this stuff is implemented in terms of a set of APIs in the
package javax.rmi.CORBA, which can be implemented independently of
the ORB.  A JVM provides an implementation of these interfaces, but
provifing our own as an add-on to the orb has some advantages in that
we can optimize performance for ejb-specific usage senarios.

Kresten