geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: EJBs with local-jndi-name
Date Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:19:33 GMT

On Jan 17, 2006, at 1:48 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> The jndi-name is supposed to be the name to which the Home
> interface is bound and the local-jndi-name is the name to which the
> LocalHome interface is bound.  An application should be able to
> look up a home using the name at any time.  Of course remote
> clients can not lookup the LocalHome, but both should be available
> in global JNDI for applications in the same Java VM.
>
> I would have -1ed the removal of the global JNDI namespace if I had
> realized that it was removed, and I feel strongly that we should
> put it back in ASAP.

There may be 2 or more "global jndi namespaces".  There was one I
implemented, based on an old version of read-only context, and for a
while connectors were able to be bound there.  I removed this
binding, and no one objected at the time.  EJBs have never been bound
into this AFAIK.  I think perhaps we should finish removing this one.

There is also, I think, some openejb-specific jndi context, and
possibly the jndi-name and local-jndi-name are related to binding
into this one.  I have no idea what the status of this is.

I don't particularly like there being so many unrelated jndi
implementations, and would like them all to be in one place with
clearly defined capabilities and uses.

thanks
david jencks