geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap, tasks and things to do?
Date Fri, 27 Jan 2006 01:06:58 GMT

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Jan 26, 2006, at 4:19 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> Isn't jpam JNI based?
>
> Yes. It is a project to expose the native security libraries on Unix to
> Java
>
>> If so, is it prudent to work with binaries?
>
> Um java is a binary program :)  Seriously, I think it is important for
> Geronimo to play well with native authentication systems.  Of course
> this would be an optional component, but I think it is important to
> provide the choice.  This would provide a level of comfort to unix
> administrators not seen on other app servers.

Yes...I know Java is a binary...smart a$$ ;-)  But we don't build java! :D

My concern was drawing the line of where our support in this areas
stops/starts.  Do we say we only support Linux/MacOSX/Solaris
(x86/PowerPC/Sparc), etc, or do we start talking about other processor
chips?  Do we begin doing our own binary builds or rely solely on
jpam.sf.net and point people over there for their processor support needs?

I personally think this stuff is very cool.  PAM rocks!  So it would be
cool to bridge it.  I am just worried that we may get folks clamoring
for other processors and trying to put the ball in our court.

But I like it!

Jeff