geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Community
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 02:38:17 GMT

David Jencks wrote:
> in my understanding of "the apache way", one of the important principles
> is that all decisions happen on the mailing list.  To me, for Geronimo,
> that means that if you are working on a feature more complex than a
> simple bug fix, you describe it in general terms in an email to the dev
> list or in a jira entry.  While I try to follow this I know I often fail
> and would appreciate reminders when I do.

Well, a soft commit-then-review also works, especially when people are
really good at what they are doing. (like you are)

I think that most of the time, there's no issue, and assuming good faith
all around, when there is an issue, it's gets resolved easily.  After
all, that's why we have version control.

I think of it as optimistic locking of sorts.

I think the only risk is the time of the volunteer - if you are going to
invest a lot of time into something, you might want to make sure that
everyone will like it if you care about the time investment.

> When I don't see this happening, for Geronimo code or for code in
> projects that are supposed to be on the way into incubation as Geronimo
> sub projects, I get worried and wonder how long the project will survive.
>
> Comments?

:x

geir