geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject v1.x Installer comments - Long
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:02:29 GMT
Looks like the Installer has made quite a bit of progress.  Thanks Erik!!

I'd like to suggest a few Usabality changes to the current installer..
I'm sure you are already aware of many of these and have plans to update
them.  Just wanted to provide some input based on my first impression.
BTW, I've attempted to provide input based on my thoughts on how this
would be perceived from the perspective of a first time user.

*Package Selection Panel*
1)The available selections are really a hierarchy
  -Server
  --J2EE Features
  ---Jetty Web Container
  ----Jetty Sample Applications

  ---Tomcat Web Container
  ----Tomcat Sample Applications

Does Izpack allow you to capture the hierarchy graphically?
If not, anyway to insert padding to the front of entries to show the
hierarchy to the user?  I think this would be a better solution than the
"Dependencies" box and would more clearly convey the relationship
between selections.  Also, we should remove the dependencies box and the
other righthand box that contains the Logo.  The description box should
be located directly to the right of the main selection box OR below it
on the left.

I like the way the dependant boxes interact (turning off something at
the top of the hierarchy automatically trickles down to the dependant
choices)..

2) It seems that we are allowing the user to choose two web containers?
    I thought we would limit the choice to just one?

3) It seems that it is currently possible to pick-and-choose selections
that result in a server that won't start.  We need to decide which
choices are valid and assure that the resulting installations all work.
   Flexibility is great, but we don't want to give users the ability to
choose non-working installations.

4) The available disk space seems to only be specified for "Server".  I
assume the other selections will eventually be updated.

5) Should the "Server" selection  be re-labeled as Geronimo kernel or
Geronimo base infrastructure or something to better reflect what it is?

6) The "Greyed out packs are required" comment is somewhat confusing..
Perhaps just adding the word (Required) next to the server selection and
removing the other comment would be clearer.

*Base Configuration Panel/Web Container Panel*
7) Not sure I understand the "Active at runtime" selections and how they
differ from the selections I've already made on the "Package Selection
Panel".. Is the idea that the package selection identifies which
packages get physically laid down on the target machine and "Active at
runtime" determines which of these are configured as initially enabled?
Not sure how common it would be to select a component and then specify
that it is disabled.  Is it more appropriate to assume all choices are
enabled at installation and any disabling shoud be done directly in the
resulting installtion (perhaps via the admin console).

7.5) The Web container "Active at runtime" selections are greyed out by
default when the Tomcat container is selected.  Seems the default should
be enabled.

*Configuration Checkpoint Panel*
8) Is it possible to place a confirmation summary of all the selections
and their size on this panel?

*Installation Progress Panel*
9) Probably want to pretty this Panel up with a Title such as
"Installing Geronimo components".

10) The installation panel seems to hang for awhile even after the
progress bar indicates completion.  Eventually the "next" selection is
available.  Is this a pblm with izpack?  Any chance of getting a
"completed message" in Big letters on the panel?

*Processing Panel"
11) I had initially assumed the installation was now done and was
surprised that there was still more installation steps to be done.
Perhaps just a title on this Page "Installing Geronimo configurations".

12) Would be nice to have "Configuration completed successfully" or
"Configuration failed" message at the end of the output. Perhaps this is
just adding the word "successfully" to your existing message.

13) I see that the installer allows a user to create an automatic
installation script.  Is this a response file that can be used to invoke
the installer silently?

14) I like the fact that you provided a default installation that
doesn't require any selections other than accepting the license.  Just
hitting next->next->next..  Joe's mom will appreciate that.  :)

Hope these comments aren't too nitpicky..  I think the installer is
really shaping up nicely. Sometimes minor changes to panels make big
differences in a user's first impression..

Thanks
-Dave-