geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:58:18 GMT

Aaron Mulder wrote:
>> I'm still really nervous about trying to automatically create a host
>> gbean since it appears to be really a global shared object in tomcat
>> and creating one could cause so many difficult to understand problems
>> for users.
>
> It sounded like you had a problem with creating a GBean to run as part
> of an application, because then two applications could have
> conflicting host GBeans.  I can't argue with that.  However, I had
> really been thinking that if our Tomcat deployer notices that an app
> refers to a virtual host that there's no existing HostGBean for, it
> would deploy a new HostGBean in the server (not as part of the
> application), so the first time you deploy an app with a missing host
> GBean, that host GBean would be created and available to be shared by
> all applications.
>
> I understand that creating things like that under the covers is not
> necessarily optimal, but I'd like to avoid an end user ever needing to
> deploy GBeans in order to basic server functionality to work, and I
> consider virtual hosts to be pretty basic for a web app.

If this is the case, then we need some plumbing to be sure there are no
cross-host VH references...and error out the deployment as necessary.

> Another possibility is to make it easy to create "virtual host GBeans"
> in the console, and then associate applications with those.  We could
> try to limit Jetty to behave more like Tomcat, and create "Host
> GBeans" for both containers (even if it's kind of artificial for
> Jetty), and have our virtual host deployment element point to those.
> If they were easy enough to configure in the console (and the settings
> if not the actual GBeans were portable across web containers) then I
> wouldn't care that a user had to do that before deploying an
> application that mapped to one of them.

This seems like a decent idea.  It would be great to be able to
configure the virtual hosts via the web console.  This is something that
is done in Weblogic...and its a feature I find pleasing.  So how its
handled underneath (i.e. with Gbeans or String lists) shouldn't really
matter...just as long as we can set these up through the console, you
could get some commonality from a user's perspective.