geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Virtual Hosts
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 19:30:30 GMT

David Jencks wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2006, at 9:06 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> OK, it strikes me as pretty silly that you can't configure virtual
>> hosts in a common way for web applications, but you can for EJBs
>> exposed as web services!
>
> I suspect the implementation for ejb web services re tomcat is wrong.

Could you please point out where it is wrong?  If no VH is set on the
EJB side, then it is attached to the default host.  If a VH is set, then
TC looks it up to verify its existence and attaches the context to that
host.  See lines 325-337 of the TomcatContainer.  I don't see where this
is incorrect.  Did I miss something here?

>> That should mean we have a common configuration scheme if you want to
>> bind a web app to a single virtual host.  If you want to bind to
>> multiple virtual hosts, you must either use the extended
>> Jetty-specific syntax, or manually configure a Host GBean for Tomcat
>> that binds to those IPs and then put the name of that GBean in the
>> virtual-host element.
>>
>> Most importantly, if you do no extra configuration but put
>> "<virtual-host>virtual.host.com</virtual-host>" in the geronimo-web
>> plan then it will do what you expect, regardless of the web container
>> in question.
>
> I think it will only simplify matters when each web app uses a single
> virtual host that no other web app uses.  As soon as there is any
> overlap it produces unstartable apps and unpredictable behavior.
>>
>> Would that work for everyone?
>
> Definitely not, sorry

I think after rethinking this I have to agree with DJ on this one.

Jeff