geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: -1 on checkin of 368344 was Re: [wadi-dev] Clustering: WADI/Geronimo integrations.
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:29:49 GMT

David Jencks wrote:
> I agree with Jeff that this change is unsatisfactory but I'm not as
> sure as he is that backing it out is necessary, perhaps we can move
> forward to an acceptable solution instead.

It is permissible for HEAD to be broken.  This is development,
after all; committing only perfect code is an unreasonable
goal.

> I also am not so sure that this magnitude of change needs prior
> discussion on the list.  I've frequently made larger changes without
> discussion of my specific code.  I've also broken lots of stuff at
> various times.

Let's all come into agreement on the development model, then.

Apache historically has use two distinct models, called Review
Then Commit (RTC) and Commit Then Review (CTR).

Under the RTC model, all changes -- except to docco or minor
bug fixes -- need to be reviewed and garner at least three +1
votes before being committed.  Giving a +1 means you've applied
the patch and tested it yourself.  If a patch doesn't get the
requisite number of positive votes, it doesn't get committed.

Under CTR, any change can get committed at any time, although
major ones are supposed to follow the RTC model.  Committers
need to ask themselves whether the commit will spark controversy;
if so, they should follow RTC and get support first.

The advantages of RTC are code quality and team building.  Nothing
goes in that hasn't been tested by at least three people.  The
primary disadvantage is that its conservative approach tends to
slow down development.  Its enemies are self-interest and apathy;
supporters need to lobby for their work to be tested, and all
developers need to remember that they're dependent upon one
another.

The advantage of CTR is prototyping speed.  Its disadvantages
are less-assured quality and community divisiveness.  Its
enemy is ego.  Since criticism occurs after code has been
committed, personal investment is greater and defensiveness
higher.  Developers are typically less aware of each others'
work.

I believe it is safe to say that Geronimo has been operating
in CTR mode, but I think the specifics and ground rules may
not have been spelt out, or need to be again.  Is this the
way in which the majority wants to continue to proceed?
- --
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"