geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Bartel <j...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: -1 on checkin of 368344 was Re: [wadi-dev] Clustering: WADI/Geronimo integrations.
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2006 20:26:14 GMT
David,

To paraphrase what you said (if I understand correctly), the choices are
to either back clustering out of geronimo for the 1.0.1 release and work on it
for a future release, or to make minimal changes to it to make it work
in geronimo as is.

I think it's unlikely that there will be a significant rush to production
with a 1.0 release of geronimo, so there is probably a bit of latitude
for less-than-optimal functioning in terms of 2nd order functionality
such as clustering if it were to be left in. It would be good to get
Jules' input on the state of WADI on this point.

However, if we leave clustering in the way it is implemented at the moment,
then the disadvantages are:
1. clustering is enabled differently for tomcat and jetty and a basic
   tenet of geronimo is to make the webcontainers interchangeable
2. clustering is enabled in the webapp descriptors instead of the container
3. users that use the 1.0.1 clustering will have to change each webapp
   to use it on future releases.

If we roll forward again to the most recent clustering changes:
1. clustering interface is uniform for both tomcat and jetty
2. clustering is enabled in the container
3. no geronimo webapp descriptor changes necessary

Of course, the most recent changes are not the final clustering
solution, so there would be changes to the container plans
in the future (eg in 1.1). But changes to the plans could probably
be expected for any geronimo services between releases, no?

I don't like the option of leaving the clustering with per-webapp
geronimo descriptor configuration because it's just simply the
wrong way to do it and will be a pain in the neck for users when
we change to a better way in future releases. I think it would be
better to take clustering out than to release 1.0.1 with it like it is.

So, the two options I see for 1.0.1 are:

1. take the clustering out and release in 1.1 after more discussion
2. leave clustering in, roll forward again and fix any issues

I really don't have a preference either way - I think both are
meritworthy.

regards
Jan