geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: -1 on checkin of 368344 was Re: [wadi-dev] Clustering: WADI/Geronimo integrations.
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:14:35 GMT
OK,

I am back.

David Jencks wrote:

> I agree with Jeff that this change is unsatisfactory but I'm not as
> sure as he is that backing it out is necessary, perhaps we can move
> forward to an acceptable solution instead.

I have to ask - on what grounds is it unsatisfactory ?
If backing out is unecessary, how do you propose moving forwards, now
that this has been done ?

> I also am not so sure that this magnitude of change needs prior
> discussion on the list.  I've frequently made larger changes without
> discussion of my specific code.  I've also broken lots of stuff at
> various times.

Jeff has still to demostrate that something has been broken.

Having two competing configuration mechanisms instead of three does not
constitute 'breakage', but iteration towards one single mechanism.

It may be that I have broken something. If this is the case, I would
apologise and endevour to fix it immediately.

> One thing I insist on is that it be possible to run geronimo with no
> clustering support whatsoever, including no clustering classes
> anywhere in the geronimo system.  I believe this means that each
> clustering system has to be installed as a configuration.  Doing this
> right now as the first step will I think help focus the rest of the
> componentization.

This involves splitting the Jetty and TC configs into local and
clustered and associated refactoring. Ultimately this is where I would
like to be aswell, but I think it unlikely to happen in time for 1.0.1.

All I am trying to do is to get a Geronimo/Jetty/Tomcat/WADI solution,
that has as little impact as possible, in place before 1.0.1.

> I don't understand the requirements very well, I hope for some answers:
>
> - do we need to support running more than one clustering system with
> a particular web container instance (e.g. JettyContainerImpl gbean
> instance)?  I'm hoping "no"

If we pursue the direction that has been discussed, then per-app and
per-container configs will be possible.

Per-container config will allow the container to specify a single
default clustering solution, but apps would be free to override this
with their own specific solution.

> IIUC we are installing clustering as a session manager.  Perhaps I
> don't understand the code but it looks to me as if the jetty code at
> least is creating a new instance for each web app.   I can't believe
> this is an acceptable strategy for all clustering implementations.
> For instance, I would think if you have a bunch of web apps doing
> cross-context dispatch you would want them all to share a session
> manager.  I think we want the possibility of installing a single
> container wide session manager or per-app session managers.

I believe that I also mentioned this in one of the discussion threads.,
but this requirement did not make it onto my mental roadmap for 1.0.1.

> Is it really plausible to rely on the distributable tag in the spec
> dd to turn on clustering?

Presence of the <distributable/> tag in the web.xml indicates the apps
requirement to the container to be clustered.

> I would think a further tag in our plan  should be needed.

If the app did not override (via some future extension) the container's
choice of clustering solution, then the container's default solution
would be implemented.

> Here's what I propose:
>
> We define a SessionManagerFactory interface, and for each clustering
> technology provide an implementation as a gbean.    You can get a
> local and a distributed session manager from this interface.  The
> runtime configuration for the clustering includes this gbean.  Each
> web app context gets a reference to this gbean and  gets the
> appropriate session manager when it starts.  The web app context
> knows if it is supposed to be local or distributed so it can ask for
> the right session manager.
>
> We have a deploy time configuration for each clustering technology
> also.  This at least supplies the gbean reference to the runtime
> gbean, and can also install a runtime gbean in the configuration
> under construction.  In this way the clustering technology can decide
> on whether one session manager is shared, a factory that always
> returns unconfigured new instances is needed, or if each web app
> needs a specially configured session manager.
>

> If this isn't clear, I'll be happy to try to clarify.

No, it is quite clear - it is pretty close to a long-term suggestion
which I made in conclusion to my 'geronimo-web.xml' thread:

"...Perhaps a SessionManagerFactoryGBean could be used on a per-server
basis to create individual SessionManagers (for each app) that can then
share further server-wide resources ?"

I was simply trying to come up with a short-term solution to tide us
over 1.0.1 before we sat down and went for the whole enchillada.

Jules

> thanks
> david jencks
>

> On Jan 12, 2006, at 7:54 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:
>
>> I didn't finish #4..sorry...
>>
>> 4) Your integration of setting the manager (no matter what) is a  direct
>> clash with the Tomcat clustering components (GBeans).  We need a more
>> unified approach to selecting a clustering component.
>>
>> Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jules.
>>>
>>> A few comments.  First, you made changes without discussing them  on
>>> the
>>> dev lists.
>>>
>>> As per the discussions in the past, both Aaron and David Jencks,  as
>>> well
>>> as I threw in our .02 on how to integrate the clustering.  I would
>>> appreciate you discuss code ideas and changes that have such a  drastic
>>> impact on the Geronimo code base.  Here are the issues with your
>>> check in:
>>>
>>> 1) I explained before for Jetty, and obviously now I need to do it  for
>>> Tomcat, a -1 on Axion as a dependency.  There should not be any web
>>> application dependencies injected at the container level.  This means
>>> there is a severe architectural issue with WADI when we are injecting
>>> these dependencies into the container.
>>>
>>> 2) You hard coded in org.codehaus.wadi.tomcat55.TomcatManager as the
>>> distributablesession manager in the TomcatContainer.  Hardcoding a
>>> pluggable session engine is very bad, and defeats the pluggability
>>> of a
>>> configuration that we requested.
>>>
>>> 3) You placed log.info() in the code, and Aaron worked pretty hard to
>>> clean those up.
>>>
>>> 4) Your integration of setting the manager (no matter what) is a
>>> direct
>>> clash with the
>>>
>>> Jules, I am giving a complete -1 of checkin of 368344.  These are all
>>> for technical reasons.  Please back out these changes, and bring this
>>> discussion to the Geronimo lists as this needs some significant
>>> discussion for implementation.  I would appreciate that you please
>>> involve the Apache way and open discussions on the lists before doing
>>> this sort of thing in the future.
>>>
>>> Again, I will CC the G lists to make this clear, that I would like
>>> this
>>> change backed out.
>>>
>>> Jeff

crystallises out around it."