geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <>
Subject Re: -1 on checkin of 368344 was Re: [wadi-dev] Clustering: WADI/Geronimo integrations.
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 18:58:59 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> I agree with Jeff that this change is unsatisfactory but I'm not as
> sure as he is that backing it out is necessary, perhaps we can move
> forward to an acceptable solution instead.
thank-you, David.

> I also am not so sure that this magnitude of change needs prior
> discussion on the list.  I've frequently made larger changes without
> discussion of my specific code.  I've also broken lots of stuff at
> various times.

Thank-you again.

> One thing I insist on is that it be possible to run geronimo with no
> clustering support whatsoever, including no clustering classes
> anywhere in the geronimo system.  I believe this means that each
> clustering system has to be installed as a configuration.  Doing this
> right now as the first step will I think help focus the rest of the
> componentization.

I agree. I think that clustered and non-clustered servers should be

The servers which were patched were already cluster-enable, we simply
extended this fn-ality.

I would +1 a move to separate clustered from non-clustered configurations.

> I don't understand the requirements very well, I hope for some answers:
> - do we need to support running more than one clustering system with
> a particular web container instance (e.g. JettyContainerImpl gbean
> instance)?  I'm hoping "no"

I would have to say yes, because we need to be able to plug in WADI or
the alternative TC approach. I don't expect to need to be able to run
different approaches concurrently, but I would expect that some clusters
might run one and some the other.

> IIUC we are installing clustering as a session manager.  Perhaps I
> don't understand the code but it looks to me as if the jetty code at
> least is creating a new instance for each web app.   I can't believe
> this is an acceptable strategy for all clustering implementations.
> For instance, I would think if you have a bunch of web apps doing
> cross-context dispatch you would want them all to share a session
> manager.  I think we want the possibility of installing a single
> container wide session manager or per-app session managers.

I did mention this in one of the discussion threads. I think I said that
my 'jury was still out' :-). If/when it comes in, I will happily
refactor to accomodate my findings. The change in question is not an
attempt to resolve all the worlds problems, but to get working WADI
integrations into Geronimo-1.0.1 as simply as possible.

> Is it really plausible to rely on the distributable tag in the spec
> dd to turn on clustering? I would think a further tag in our plan
> should be needed.

This is exactly what the spec mandates. Once clustering is turned on,
you have the opportunity to configure it to you hearts delight, but the
choice of whether or not the app is distributable rests with the app.

> Here's what I propose:
> We define a SessionManagerFactory interface, and for each clustering
> technology provide an implementation as a gbean.    You can get a
> local and a distributed session manager from this interface.  The
> runtime configuration for the clustering includes this gbean.  Each
> web app context gets a reference to this gbean and  gets the
> appropriate session manager when it starts.  The web app context
> knows if it is supposed to be local or distributed so it can ask for
> the right session manager.
I have to go out right now.

I will look at your suggestion first thing tomorrow morning and come
back with comments,

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell
 * Partner