geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: -1 on checkin of 368344 was Re: [wadi-dev] Clustering: WADI/Geronimo integrations.
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:14:05 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

>Hi Jules.
>
>A few comments.  First, you made changes without discussing them on the
>dev lists.

There has been lots of discussion over the past week or two on both
geronimo-dev and wadi-dev - I took this, along with my own findings when
I looked at the code, and further offline discussion with Jan and Greg
as we were making the changes, into account.

As I have clearly stated, if you don't like the way it has been done, it
is only an iteration towards a final solution and you are welcome to
contribute codewise. It is a major step forwards as it unifies the way
that this is done between both containers, and further allows the use of
clustering solutions other than WADI.

>As per the discussions in the past, both Aaron and David Jencks, as well
>as I threw in our .02 on how to integrate the clustering.  I would
>appreciate you discuss code ideas and changes

I was involved in the recent threads (I started them and stoked them)
and did discuss these issues. Please check the archive. To say that I
was not open to discussion is not a tenable position.

> that have such a drastic
>impact on the Geronimo code base.

Drastic ? It extends Geronimo to be able to run the WADI demo webapp,
with no impact whatsoever on any non-distributable webapp.

> Here are the issues with your check in:
>
>1) I explained before for Jetty, and obviously now I need to do it for
>Tomcat, a -1 on Axion as a dependency.  There should not be any web
>application dependencies injected at the container level.  This means
>there is a severe architectural issue with WADI when we are injecting
>these dependencies into the container.

It is no longer an app dep - it is a container dep. The decision to use
WADI is now made by the container, and as stated in my mail to the list,
the config which determines this will soon move from the app to the
container.

I have also invited you to work on removing this dep from WADI.

>2) You hard coded in org.codehaus.wadi.tomcat55.TomcatManager as the
>distributablesession manager in the TomcatContainer.  Hardcoding a
>pluggable session engine is very bad, and defeats the pluggability of a
>configuration that we requested.

Jeff, please take the time to read, run and understand the code before
judging it.

As stated in my mail, a sensible default distributable session manager
is hardcoded. This is overridable in the tomcat or jetty plan. This is a
pretty standard way of doing things and means that any session manager,
not just WADI may now be selected. This is a great step forward over the
previous version where an important method signature included the
WADIGBean type, which restricted distributable webapps to WADI and not
other possible alternatives.

>3) You placed log.info() in the code, and Aaron worked pretty hard to
>clean those up.

I shall downgrade the level - apologies to Aaron - as I stated, this
code is only an iteration towards a finished product.

>4) Your integration of setting the manager (no matter what) is a direct
>clash with the

with the..... what ?

>Jules, I am giving a complete -1 of checkin of 368344.  These are all
>for technical reasons.  Please back out these changes, and bring this
>discussion to the Geronimo lists as this needs some significant
>discussion for implementation.  I would appreciate that you please
>involve the Apache way and open discussions on the lists before doing
>this sort of thing in the future.

Of the three reasons that you have given 2 are completely mistaken and
one is trivial - in my book, insufficient technical argument for the
rejection of a significant enhancement.

>Again, I will CC the G lists to make this clear, that I would like this
>change backed out.

In conclusion my change should remain for the following technical reasons.

- it fixes something that was broken
- it unifies two separate approaches into a single, more manageable
approach, without sacrifice.
- it moves us in an agreed direction (from per-app to per-container
based configuration)
- it is simpler than what it replaces - it frees us from requirements
for an extra GBean and divergent Jetty and Tomcat geronimo-web.xml schemas.
- it is more flexible than the code that it replaces - it allows
selection of ANY session manager, NOT JUST WADI, as was previously the case.
- it is small.

On the non-technical side of things:

- preceding this change, possible solutions were discussed on relevant
dev lists at length.
- 3 Geronimo/WADI committers were involved in and agreed on the final
minutiae of the change.
- by fixing, simplifying and unifying the WADI/Geronimo integration,
this changes brings significant benefit to Geronimo.

If there are aspects of the change that you do not like, then we should
simply work together, on top of the change, to resolve these issues.

By backing out the change, you break something that is fixed and remove
all the beneficial code that you did not have issues with. If there are
small issues, such as the level of a log message, then we should simply
fix it and continue in a forward direction.

regards,

Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell