geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Warning regarding Windows file path lengths with JDK 1.4
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:29:31 GMT
Mapping the file name would reduce the length a bit, but i am wondering
if it is really worth the complexity for the small gain in reduction of
characters in the file path.

For users on JDK 1.5_06 (where the JDK bug is fixed), there are still
some related issues that I found after further investigation..

A lot of windows programs are coded to use MAX_PATH, which is defined as
260 characters.  If the windows unicode API is used to create the file,
paths longer than 256 characters can be used, which is what the JDK bug
fix does AFAIK.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/naming_a_file.asp

Examples of Windows XP programs that have problems with long file paths
are windows explorer and the the CMD shell (I tried them).  Hopefully
decent backup programs work with paths greater than 260 chars..

WinZip is another example of a program that has problems, so as a
workaround users on JDK 1.5_06 can extract the zip with the JDK jar
utility (I have confirmed it worked with the following command):

C:\test\this\is\a\really\long\install\directory\name\to\demonstrate\jdk\bug\6182812>"C:\Program

Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_06\bin\jar" xvf geronimo-tomcat-j2ee-1.0.zip

Another workaround for users on JDK 1.4.2 is to install to a different
(shorter) location, or shorten file names in their web applications.

Do people think that the above workarounds are acceptable and it isn't
worth trying to shorten our file paths?

John